It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:06 pm

Anybody need a new car ? 
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Post Anybody need a new car ?
The Volvo car company has a contest going on in conjunction with the latest Pirates of the Carribean movie - where if you find where the Volvo is buried, you get to keep the car !!!

seems like good practice to hone your RV locating skills !!!:)

More details at:

http://thehunt.volvocars.net/us/thehunt

CB

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged is when we all must be most aware of change in the air however slight lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness.

Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:46 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

I was hoping that you guys would take this on. It is an excellent opportunity to test your skills against a fun, 'real world' challenge/RV search problem -- with timely feedback.

Go for it. But, first:

Outline your problem-solving strategy for me.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:53 am
Profile WWW
Post Volvo
I just got off the phone with Volvo of North America. They said if we don't have a vailid ticket number and map then it does not count. Gotta play their way to win. Clues must be submitted and essays will be judged. RV methods or other ways do not apply.

We could do it anyway for the practice. I think it would be fun.

Just thought you all should know.

Jay

Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:43 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Don't waste your time with the 'challenge' -- use this circumstance as an opportunity to test your advanced/higher-level RV skills, as well as obtain additional guidance in project management, etc. If you can do well in this practical exercise -- at the individual and team levels -- then you'll have higher confidence when you tackle the more important problem sets. The clock is ticking...the choice is yours.

Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Accurate Cue
O.K. The first thing is to compose a ( and or) many accurate cue's to locate the new Volvo automobile. Example : " Location/Volvo automobile/Volvo find the car contest/present time " Critique and advice from professionals most welcome. Dan

Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

You get an "F" on today's homework. (However, I'll change it to a "D" for at least trying).

There is a photo of the target's container (and possible burial site) available. In our business, a picture can be worth a thousand words.

Last edited by Ed Dames on Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Find the Volvo
O.K. Thank-you Ed for the correction. And I appreciate your upgrade from an " F " to a " D " for effort, I did miss the test though for lack of doing diligent homework before posting a " cue ". Since I haven't watched T.V. for many years now, as many of us don't, because of what I call the " flicker effect " boring, and other reasons, I am completely unfamiliar with the contest. I do believe this to be an excellent excercise for a" fun " real world target, and having a genuine photograph or image of the actual location of the new Volvo, would simplify the search cue. For sure an exercise like this successfully demonstrated accomplishes much, and in this business one thing leads to another. If anyone can post a picture or image of where the car is buried, that would be very helpful. Whoever finds the car will need to take the vehicle to the car wash though. Sincerely, Dan

Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:03 am
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:27 am
Profile WWW
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Volvo Search
Ed, Thank-you, got it. Dan

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:55 am
Profile WWW
Post The hunt
Volvo Cars of North America's The Hunt Challenge / buried Volvo XC90 / present pinpoint location

Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:48 am
Extreme User
Extreme User

Assuming there is only one buried Volvo xc90 in the world in that container

Burial location / Volvo XC90 .......or
Location / Buried Volvo XC90

Im new to setting cue's and would respectfully suggest that the cue would not need to be qualified by the 'Volvo Cars of North America's The Hunt Challenge', i mean how many buried volvo xc90's can there be in the world?, there not going to bury a whole load of them just because of RVer's, and given the fact there is a picture of the container maybe our focus should be the container.

The Flash intro says" buried somewhere in the world"

Burial location / Volvo XC90 Container .....or
Location / buried Volvo XC90 Container .....or
Precise burial location / Volvo XC90 / Container

Assuming its the same container in the picture that is

Rob

Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Extreme User
Extreme User

Volvo cars, The hunt challenge / Location / Largest geographical feature

rob

Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:09 am
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Extreme User
Extreme User

Acknowledged Sir, just me trying to run before i can walk as per usual.

Rob

Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
Post Narrow it down.
Narrow the problem set down geographically & condense target identity.

We are looking for a buried Volvo XC90. Which Volvo? The volvo XC90 mentioned in Volvo Cars of North America's The Hunt Challenge. This should establish a chain of custody to the buried volvo without needing to add the whole company name to the cue.

buried Volvo XC90 / present location / country / most recognizible-unique Feature
Should give us the most recognizible-unique feature of the country of the location of the buried Volvo XC90.

buried Volvo XC90 / present location / state-providence / most recognizible-unique feature
Should give us the most recognizible-unique feature of the state or providence of the location of the buried Volvo XC90.

buried Volvo XC90 / present location / nearest town / most recognizable feature

Narrow it down to the nearest town.

buried Volvo XC90 / present location / most visible feature

This should give us a closer feature that can be seen from looking at the target from a distance or from an airplane.

buried Volvo XC90 / present pinpoint location
or
buried Volvo XC90 / present location / most recognizable feature
Should pinpoint the present location or show us the most recognizable feature next to it. The second to last cue (present pinpoint location) is the one that I used to find my wallets and someone else used to find a missing diamond earring.

Last edited by JayBird on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:57 pm
Extreme User
Extreme User

So it is definitely 'buried' then and not concealed, hidden, obscured, or interment, sepulchral, and entombed. A little like 'optimum' instead of best, ideal, or perfect. ...... Lovely set of cue's though mate

Regards Rob :)

Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Post Hey Rob
Rob,
Yes, they buried it. Like buried treasure after the style of the movie.
I saw the TV info and talked with Volvo headquarters.

I believe Ed was wanting us to use a photo to start the cue, however I seem to be at odds on how to include this. I Reviewed the DVDs, It could be used as a starting point, but found it eaiser to start with a chain of custody since i knew the origin of the challenge. If someone else knows how to shorten the problem set in locating an object using a photo, fill me in please.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:26 pm
Post Short version with S6
Done in only 2 sessions. Much shorter project.

buried Volvo XC90 / Nearest significant feature
Explore the ST: From 100 meters west of the nearest significant feature SSBV
S6 - Draw the target geometry of the nearest significant feature

buried Volvo XC90 / present pinpoint location
Explore the ST: from 25 meters west of the present pinpoint location SSBV
S6 - Location Flag

Should give us the nearest significant feature near the target, a clear view from 100 meters west, a drawing of the nearest significant feature, the country it resides in, a 25 meter view from the site and a close up of the target area.

Ed, can I get a correction on this please? Do we need to state that the above photo is being used for the target reference or can we stay with the chain of custody? Or did I bomb completely?

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:09 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

It's safer to use the container photo as a target, since there could be other cars of this make 'buried' in a scrap pile -- and you cannot be certain how the Matrix will handle the car's make and model term.

Also, you'll need to start with:

.../region's most unique feature

to determine general area on the globe.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:28 am
Profile WWW

[ 7401 / 0813 ] / region's most unique feature
To determine general area on the globe.

[ 7401 / 0813 ] / Nearest significant feature
Explore the ST: From 100 meters west of the nearest significant feature SSBV
S6 - Draw the target geometry of the nearest significant feature

[ 7401 / 0813 ] / present pinpoint location
Explore the ST: from 25 meters west of the present pinpoint location SSBV
S6 - Location Flag

Should determine general area on the globe, give us the nearest significant feature near the target, a clear view from 100 meters west, a drawing of the nearest significant feature, the country it resides in, a 25 meter view from the site and a close up of the target area.

Ed, thanks for the help. Should I have not assigned it a TRN or referenced it another way?

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:57 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

There needs to be a line pointing to the target, or sessions will become messy (too many elements in the photo -- refer to Learn RV DVDs 3 & 4). The systematic approach to the problem follows:

Target [7401/0813]/present time

Acquire the target and obtain a good lock-on by going all the way to the S.T. Then, continue the session (next page number) with the high-level prompt:

The region's most unique feature SBV

This will take you off site; be certain to suppend subscript numbers to the key site aspects in your new S3 freehand sketch! (Note, however, that you do not have to do this with elements in the new S.T. -- you simply assign new primary numbers).

Alternatively, if it is to be worked as a blind target, you must assign a new set of TRNs to the extended cue:

[NNNN/NNNN] Target [7401/0813]/present location/region's most unique feature

Otherwise, as a front-loaded session, write this cue across the top of the first page, (sans any new TRN), and begin the session with the aforementioned high-level prompt, instead of a TRN.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:49 pm
Profile WWW

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:31 pm
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Post Legitimate photo?
Something to consider if this is pursued.....

The photo you are using may not be the actual container with the car in it, for a few plausible reasons.
Do they want to show a photograph of the burial location to the (participants) public? The photo shows
bushes, soil make up.....when someone solves the puzzles will they simply look for that bush on the
left at the location and start digging?

This maybe a photo shoot merely to support contest promotion. The actual car and/or container may
have been buried somewhere else. The photo you are using may have been taken for ease of the
photographic crew, logistics, cost, etc....so the container you want may not be the one in the photo.

There are other reasons why this may not be the photo of the actual burial, but you see where I am
going with this. There is an assumption made that the photo is the one to use. Never assume.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:09 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

I'm sure that most of us have considered that point, and would agree with you. However, for practical reasons, and because this is not a critical target, it is probably safe to assume that the photo is not of a mock site.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

What made me consider it being mock are the chokers used to make the pick. Machine pressed clasps on
nylon chokers are crap, I have doubts that they are rated to pick the weight of a container and a car.

I maybe making noise about nothing though, good hunting.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:15 pm