It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:17 pm

Matrix Definitions - Vocation vs. Career 
Extreme User
Extreme User

Post Matrix Definitions - Vocation vs. Career
I have performed a search on the terms but can't find anything really concrete on whether there is a difference between:

optimum vocation
optimum career

(Note a search revealed Chartless feels vocation will not make you rich, but I think that is more of a function of optimal v. optimum which is not what this thread is about)

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to the contrast between the two? I am not sure how much of a career we can have with T minus 3 years remaining before TEoLoEaWKI yet I did manage to get usefull data out of a optimum career cue recently. 3 years in spacecraft engineering? Seriously? I think I would rather be rich, drunk, and hang out at the best discoteque in Europe for that short amount of time.

Questions: What problem was solved by RV here? What solution was obtained? What new knowledge was acquired? What controls were instituted in order to insure confidence in the resulting data? "Where's the beef?" - Major Ed Dames

Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:17 am
Ultimate User
Ultimate User

Post Re: Matrix Definitions - Vocation vs. Career
[quote="Космодром"]I have performed a search on the terms but can't find anything really concrete on whether there is a difference between:

optimum vocation
optimum career

Webster's New World Dictionary seems to define each word in terms of the other word. Not very helpful. It seems to me that career tends to be used when discussing a lifetime occupation in law or engineering or medicine, etc. In other words, career relates more to professions. On the other hand, vocation seems to refer more to working in trades such as carpentry, electrician, bricklayer, etc. Or, maybe I'm just imagining the above and its a distinction without a difference.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:36 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

Career and vocation can both denote occupation.

Career implies an occupation with sequential developmental stages of increasing responsibility, complexity, or power. Note the similarity of usage for the word career when it is used to denote travelling at high speed, often along a course of multiple stages, as in a race. (Rat race, anyone?)

Vocation, on the other hand, can be applied to an every day job, but is strongly suggestive of an occupation that one feels called to enter, as one is called to study medicine or enter the priesthood or other such professions, often from altruistic motives or just plain love of the job.

The possibility of amassing wealth is generally not considered as important in the evaluation of a vocation as it is in the evaluation of a career, where the money can act as an indicator of the responsibility or power achieved in the race. This does not rule out the possibility of making truckloads of money while pursuing a vocation, where the money is often seen only as a means of continuing to do what you really love doing.

If you spend a lot of time thinking about your next promotion or your next raise, or how to get that corner office, you probably have a career.

If you spend more time thinking about the welfare of your patients or parishoners than you do thinking about how much you're getting paid, you probably have a vocation.

Many occupations are both career and vocation; the line between the two is often not very clear.

Lessons from the Petting Zoo:
Lesson 27. Puppies that spend all day yapping never really learn to hunt.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:12 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

Of course, in the end, the only way to know how a search term is adjudicated by the Matrix is to experiment.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:13 am
Profile WWW
RV Professional
RV Professional

Ed Dames wrote:
Of course, in the end, the only way to know how a search term is adjudicated by the Matrix is to experiment.

I'm wondering about some ramifications of this. Are we really going to get objective, reproducible results? I have an inkling that the results of said experiment will be inconclusive.

Quite obviously, the first idea is to consult an authoritative dictionary for clarifying the meaning of words. But the Matrix probably isn't a beardy old man querying the same dictionary when trying to figure out the question posted to him. When we perceive a word, either in written or spoken form, we are transmitted a symbol for an idea or a thing. This idea or thing that forms within our brain upon perception of its symbol is what somehow, mysteriously, is transmitted to the Matrix to yield an answer in similar form, to be translated back into language. So far my limited understanding, please correct me if I'm off.

But exactly which idea, what thing? That depends on our entire, individual learning history. Every single fact, i.e. our understanding of it, exists in our brain only in relation to other things, and how these relations are formed, beginning from earliest infancy, is totally subjective. The outcome, even when not leaving our native language, is certainly somewhat fuzzy. Consulting the dictionary is supposed to align our individual understandings of an item, but even the descriptions in it are interpreted by us individually, subjectively. The unilingual dictionary does the same thing as our brain, describing words in their relation to other words. But it's not an exact representation of the data content of anyone's individual brain. It seems unlikely that we will ever reach 100% synchronicity*. Whether it can be reached at all is a different beast again, because it would postulate that a kind of universal code exists, which is far from proven. Thus, in our particular instance, as banal as it sounds, asking the Matrix for 'vocation' and 'career' may not yield anything authoritative, because it gets muddied already before the question is sent off.

Forgive me, but from my point of view it keeps popping up like a bad penny that I don't find it very helpful rejecting discussion of RV fundamentals within this learning forum. At least sometimes, it will happen that we can experiment until the cows come home, but we won't be able to interpret and further apply the results if we don't dive deeper for their roots. It seems to me that the question of this thread touches such an issue. If the above thoughts are found stupid, I need to know why, please.

* Synchronicity in its simple meaning, not the Jungian application (entry 1 of 2 in the American Heritage Dictionary).

>>

Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:51 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

kfa wrote:
At least sometimes, it will happen that we can experiment until the cows come home, but we won't be able to interpret and further apply the results if we don't dive deeper for their roots.

Think of the experiments as SCUBA for your root diving.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:36 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Chartless wrote:
Think of the experiments as SCUBA for your root diving.

Think of making choices on the best possible foundation before you actually jump. Anything that helps the diver decide where to go down. To stay within the analogy, I know the scuba and the sonar aren't invented yet. Therefore the more needed is every bit of insight those at the forefront may be able to give.

>>

Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:01 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

kfa wrote:
Therefore the more needed is every bit of insight those at the forefront may be able to give.

Here's your insight:

Ed Dames wrote:

I wouldn't know about being on the forefront. Being only a goat, I am mostly on my hind-quarters and my two front. All I have in sight is dinner.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:28 pm
RV Professional
RV Professional

Chartless wrote:
Here's your insight:

Ed Dames wrote:

You didn't read my text, guess it didn't look like dinner. I raised the doubt whether the same question, put by different persons, would be understood by the Matrix in the same way, because those persons might translate the same piece of language into slightly different ideas. This could cast a shadow on the experiment, eventually render a lot of work useless. Sure the Major and those in the upper league understand what I meant and may be able to state whether or not this has been considered before, and if yes with what conclusion.

Chartless wrote:
Being only a goat, I am mostly on my hind-quarters and my two front. All I have in sight is dinner.

Being only a tortoise that moves slower than most creatures, I am more concerned about being chartless in unknown territory. I want to know what I can before setting foot in a direction. But why me? I'm insignificant. This is supposed to be of general interest, and especially to help the thread starter.

>>

Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:14 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

kfa,

I do hope "the Major and those in the upper league" understand what you meant, and answer your question. Good luck with that.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:12 am
RV Professional
RV Professional

It is a cogent point, Shellback -- you may move slowly, but you think fast. At present, there is not enough empirical knowledge under the belts of RV practitioners to answer the question; actually, there is a dearth of cross-cultural data. But, keep in mind that RV is only a couple of decades young. Lot's more to learn and discover. My old (company) motto was: "Mind is the final frontier."

Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:53 am
Profile WWW
Extreme User
Extreme User

kfa wrote:
I raised the doubt whether the same question, put by different persons, would be understood by the Matrix in the same way, because those persons might translate the same piece of language into slightly different ideas.

I am pretty sure that is not the way it works. The Matrix interprets an English word the same no matter who uses it or their intent. (See Matrix dictionary definition for LOW, OPEN, HUMAN, TERRORIST etc.)

Doesn't matter if you speak tortoise, wallaby, or Catalan, if you use those words in a cue, they have only one meaning to the matrix.

However, there are combinations of gerunds and nouns that when combined with certain adjectives can offer secondary contextual meanings in the Matrix such as SHORT.

I kind of guessed my answer lays in the yet undiscovered ocean of RV knowledge, but it was worth a shot. Thank you Major. I have my work cut out for me.

Looks like what I am after is a English-RV dictionary and that book seems pretty thin at this time.

Questions: What problem was solved by RV here? What solution was obtained? What new knowledge was acquired? What controls were instituted in order to insure confidence in the resulting data? "Where's the beef?" - Major Ed Dames

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:42 am